Your team just closed a huge deal. It might be a merger, an IPO, a debt deal, or even a bankruptcy. Now it’s time to celebrate. It’s time to put together a fantastic deal toy. Whether you are new to the game or a seasoned veteran, getting a deal toy should be the fun part. That’s where we come in. With over 50 years of combined experience, Buttonwood is the company behind the world’s most beautiful awards, deal toys, mementos, and corporate gifts. Over the years we’ve learned a thing or two about making the process go off without a hitch. One of the most important steps in a smooth experience is knowing where to begin. A great first step is coming into the process prepared. We’ve compiled a checklist to help you get the most out of the experience.
- Tombstone, text, or copy Having the most accurate version possible of your tombstone is extremely helpful. Most awards, deal toys, mementos, and corporate gifts are created to mark an achievement, an occasion, or a milestone. The text that describes the deal terms, accomplishments, or events are often referred to as a tombstone and are an essential part of the deal toy. The specific details in a tombstone play an important part in the design of the award. The company logos, industry, project names, and circumstances surrounding a deal can offer inspiration and content.
- Budget We can develop amazing options for any budget, but it’s helpful to know how much you have to spend. This will obviously have an impact on the final piece. Is your budget “all-in” or per piece? “all-in” means the budget covers design, set-up, production, shipping, and taxes. Whereas per piece is dedicated to the piece only, and set-up, production, shipping, and taxes are added costs. When we know your budget, it’s easier for us to help you create the best deal toy within your parameters. No worries if you don’t know your budget right away, we can always design within an expected range. In these circumstances we start on the low end, as it’s no fun to tell people they can’t have something because it’s out of budget. Many of our clients have strict rules regarding budgets. Not to worry though, we know who to talk to and what is permitted. We’ve spent years learning the ins and outs of the systems so don’t hesitate to ask how your specific company handles policy.
- Design Guidance This is the quickest way to expedite your deal toy process. Coming in with an idea of what you want is extremely beneficial. Our design team can help you develop your idea to its fullest extent, and possibly beyond. You don’t have to have a fully formed idea, but concepts, themes, and inspiration are always welcome. Buttonwood is known for creativity, so building off of your ideas is our specialty. Here are some quick questions to ask yourself to help you develop concepts to bring to the table: Does the company have an interesting logo? Are there any specific branding elements or color palettes you would like to see? Do you have a theme in mind? An inside joke? What makes the company stand out form the competition? What makes this deal special? Is there a project name? Is there a pitch book or roadshow that could be used for inspiration? Does your client or Managing Director have input? If you still come up blank, no worries. We can handle it. Maybe you will find revelation in something we come up with for you. Either way we will make sure you get something you are happy with. You can also read our posts on brainstorming, creativity, and making a great deal toy to help you come up with killer ideas.
- Materials Knowing materials can help to speed you to the finish line. Each one offers a unique look and tactile experience. Crystal, lucite, wood, aluminum, pewter… the list is long and distinguished. We have so many materials to choose from that it can be quite daunting. Do you want a realistic replica of a specific product? Lucite or 3D printing might be your best bet. Do you need an elegant design to wow your teammates and clients? Maybe you should go with crystal. Still feeling lost? Our team is happy to help you decide the best material for your job. You can read more about materials and industry terms here.
- Timeline Deadlines are important. We pride ourselves on making sure we get the job done on time. Providing us with a timeframe at the beginning of a project helps us structure the job so we can get it done on time. Under current circumstances closing dinners may not be an option, but that doesn’t mean we back off on delivery. Your order will be there when you need it, period.
- Logos & Supporting Files Providing company logos and design assets can really help the process. We understand the importance of following brand guidelines. Your company and your client’s company have spent millions of dollars on building strong brand identities. Our job is to help personify your brand to whatever degree you choose. By providing us with the appropriate design files, you are insuring accuracy and cohesion. You may also be delivering a fair bit of inspiration. Read more about keeping your branding on point here.
Now the fun begins. Armed with the list above, you are ready to get started on developing a deal toy, award, or memento that will stir gratitude in your clients, and envy in your colleagues. Give us a call and we can get started on creating something awesome today.